Heavy, wet snow blankets Chicago, suburbs
March 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Most of the Chicago area will see between 5 and 9 inches of snow by the end of the winter storm.
- ABC7 Weather Home
- School Closings
- Street-Level Interactive Radar
- Severe Weather: Watches, Warnings
- ABC7's Flight Tracker
"The winter storm warning is in effect until midnight across the area," ABC7 Meteorologist Jerry Taft said.
The snow started falling Tuesday morning, and continued throughout the day, making for a messy afternoon rush hour.
"Five inches on the ground in a lot of places, up to 10 inches in some spots," Taft said. "Some of the heaviest snow [is] in DuPage and Cook County, stretching over into portions of Indiana."
Most of the Chicago area will get between 5 and 9 inches of snow. It's the snowiest day of the season.
"[It is really dense, great for a snowball fight, maybe, but not the snow you want to be shoveling," Taft said.
High wind speeds made for low visibility. Before noon Tuesday, airlines had already canceled more than 1,000 flights at Midway and O'Hare airports.
Chicago and suburban municipalities have their snow-removal plows and trucks out on the streets.
"We are prepared as a city to deal with this snow," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said at an OEMC news conference.
The snow will taper off Tuesday around 9 p.m.
local, jerry taft
- Video: Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day 26 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force 17 min ago
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- 'Louder Than A Bomb' Poetry Slam 35 min ago
- Mercy Home For Boys & Girls 11 min ago
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt... 47 min ago
- Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's...
26 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
17 min ago