Cafe La Cave roof collapses in Des Plaines
March 6, 2013 (DES PLAINES, Ill.) (WLS) -- Tuesday's winter storm has moved on, but the heavy snow caused the roof on a northwest suburban business to collapse.
- ABC7 Weather Home
- School Closings
- Street-Level Interactive Radar
- Severe Weather: Watches, Warnings
- ABC7's Flight Tracker
Owner Kim Sutter says the repairs may take several months. But the danger and the mess is isolated to only one small room.
"We did not have a function going on. This can be replaced, people cannot. We are very fortunate in that respect," Sutter said.
That means the restaurant and large banquet room could be open as early as Wednesday night or this weekend, keeping wedding parties and other people with reservations on schedule. The business was built 22 years ago."We are still trying to find out the cause. The last two snows, last week was very heavy and wet," Sutter sad.
Structural engineers are studying the damage to determine exactly what happened. Repair crews are already there.
local, jason knowles
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds