I-57 crash kills 2 near 127th Street; police say high speed involved
March 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- State police say that alcohol may have played a role in a crash on I-57 early Sunday morning which left two young people dead and their car unrecognizable.
It happened around 4:30 this morning on I-57 near 127th street in south suburban Calumet Park.
Sunday afternoon, grief-stricken family of Brittany Jones struggles with her death just hours after the 22-year-old college student and a man, her relatives describe as her "on-again-off again" boyfriend, are killed in an accident on I-57.
"She has a 4-year-old daughter that is asking for her mom today and I don't know what to tell that baby," said Melinda Jones, Brittany Jones' mother.
Jones' aunt says she heard Brittany arguing on the phone with 24-year-old Tyrone Wright before she went to pick him up in her car from a job he was working at this south suburban hotel with his photographer brother.
Illinois State Police say the driver of the 1997 Oldsmobile was traveling at a high rate of speed and lost control northbound around 127th Street.
"They were going in excess of 100 miles an hour, the car hit the sidewalk on 127th Street, propelled into the air, flipping several times and come to rest on a guardrail or something like that," said Melinda Jones, Brittany Jones' aunt.
Investigators say both victims were wearing seat belts.
Tyrone Wright's brother passed the crash on his way home and said authorities are wrong when they say the accident is believed to have been alcohol-related.
"When we're out at events like that we don't drink, we don't drink on events like that," said Terrell Spraggins, Wright's brother.
Sunday, both families are remembering their loved ones as kind and giving as Melinda Jones fight to cope with the loss.
"I just love my niece, I loved her," she said.
Accident investigators said it does not appear any other vehicles were involved in the crash, which is still under investigation.
local, evelyn holmes
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area 1 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning 6 min ago
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler