Wells Street Bridge to reopen for Monday morning rush
March 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The CTA says reconstruction of the Wells Street Bridge is on schedule and it will reopen for Monday morning's rush hour traffic after affecting the routes of some El lines for nine days.
Workers have been on site around the clock for over a week trying to finish the job on time. The work was nearly complete Sunday night and the track was ready to get back open for business.
At 4 a.m. Brown and Purple Line trains once again crossed the Wells Street Bridge into and out of the Loop.
"Definitely relieved. It made late to work like six times," said Dillon Perry.
The reopening marks the end of nine days of work to replace the bridge's 500,000 pound southern half, as well as the tracks just south of the bridge.
"I'm a patient guy. I'm like, whatever needs to be done," said Jeff Brown.
Not everyone is so tolerant though. For a week and a half, CTA Brown Line users have had to take shuttle buses to get in and out of the loop, as trains have only gone as far as the Merchandise Mart, Chicago Avenue on the weekends.
The Purple Line express has not run at all during that time.
"Not too bad. I don't work in the Loop but I have appointments downtown. It was slow last week," said Robert Meyers.
The work is not done yet. The bridge will close again to Brown and Purple Line trains when the northern half of the bridge is replaced. That work will start on April 26.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos