6-month-old baby girl, man shot on South Side
March 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 6-month-old girl and a man were both wounded Monday in a shooting on Chicago's South Side, police sources confirmed to ABC7.
- UPDATE: 6-month-old dies after South Side shooting
- PHOTOS: Images from the scene after 6-month-old shot
Relatives kept vigil at the hospital Monday night, praying that Jonylah will recover from the gunshot wounds.
The window was shot out in the vehicle where the baby and her father were sitting when a gunman opened fire. Police say he was changing her diaper.
Jonylah's grandmother got a call moments later.
"She said there was some shooting on the block so I ran over there," Mary Young said.
Jonylah and her 25-year-old father, Jonathan Watkins, were each shot multiple times. Police say he has gang affiliations. He was taken to Northwestern Hospital in serious condition.
"Our whole focus has been the baby," said Rev. Corey Brooks, New Beginnings Church. "We have no idea why the shooting happened, we don't know who was responsible for it."
Police say after firing the shots, the gunman ran to a waiting car and sped off.
Anti-violence activist Andrew Holmes was in the neighborhood a short time after the shooting handing out flyers and looking for witnesses.
"This is a small child, this is borderline for that baby. I'm hoping someone will have a heart and pick up the phone," Holmes said.
"I just want whoever did this, it was very cowardly, and to turn himself in," said Young.
Pastor Brooks said his church is donating $5,000 to add to a reward to help find the suspect who may have been the shooter.As of Monday night, police said they have no one in custody.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 10 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 18 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery 36 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 42 min ago
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
15 min ago
- 7 in 77
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
10 min ago