6-month-old baby girl, man shot on South Side
March 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 6-month-old girl and a man were both wounded Monday in a shooting on Chicago's South Side, police sources confirmed to ABC7.
- UPDATE: 6-month-old dies after South Side shooting
- PHOTOS: Images from the scene after 6-month-old shot
Relatives kept vigil at the hospital Monday night, praying that Jonylah will recover from the gunshot wounds.
The window was shot out in the vehicle where the baby and her father were sitting when a gunman opened fire. Police say he was changing her diaper.
Jonylah's grandmother got a call moments later.
"She said there was some shooting on the block so I ran over there," Mary Young said.
Jonylah and her 25-year-old father, Jonathan Watkins, were each shot multiple times. Police say he has gang affiliations. He was taken to Northwestern Hospital in serious condition.
"Our whole focus has been the baby," said Rev. Corey Brooks, New Beginnings Church. "We have no idea why the shooting happened, we don't know who was responsible for it."
Police say after firing the shots, the gunman ran to a waiting car and sped off.
Anti-violence activist Andrew Holmes was in the neighborhood a short time after the shooting handing out flyers and looking for witnesses.
"This is a small child, this is borderline for that baby. I'm hoping someone will have a heart and pick up the phone," Holmes said.
"I just want whoever did this, it was very cowardly, and to turn himself in," said Young.
Pastor Brooks said his church is donating $5,000 to add to a reward to help find the suspect who may have been the shooter.As of Monday night, police said they have no one in custody.
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 55 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
55 min ago