Doctor: Shooting death of baby Jonylah Watkins a 'tragedy'
March 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A team of doctors at Comer Children's Hospital struggled for 12 hours to try to save the life of 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins, but the damage was overwhelming.
- PHOTOS: Images from the scene after 6-month-old shot
- STORY: 6-month-old dies after South Side shooting
Jonylah was shot several times as her father changed her diaper inside a vehicle in the 6500-block of South Maryland.
"This sweet baby had almost every organ system touched. Her lung was touched. Her liver was touched. Her diaphragm was destroyed," Dr. Rachel Wolfson said.
For 12 hours, doctors treated the baby in both the operating room and the intensive care unit. They say she was bleeding profusely and needed her blood volume replaced at least five times.
She was also resuscitated several times, doctors said, and at one point her bleeding slowed. Doctors say they were surprised they kept her alive as long as they did.
"The amount of resources we brought to bear to help her was immense," Dr. Mark Slidell said.
Her father, Jonathan Watkins, 29, was also injured. Police say he has an extensive criminal record and was the intended target.
"No matter how this happened, she's someone's baby, and grandbaby and niece and it's horrible. But in the moment, you just get the job done," Dr. Wolfson said.
"This was a beautiful child who didn't have a role in what happened to her. It's a tragedy to lose a child like this for any reason," Dr. Slidell said.
Funeral services for Jonylah will be held at New Beginnings Church at 6620 S. King Dr. on Tuesday, March 19. A wake will take place at 10 a.m., with the funeral to begin at 11 a.m.
local, karen jordan
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race 58 min ago
- CTA: Ventra cards only possible by end of March
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits 29 min ago