Doctor: Shooting death of baby Jonylah Watkins a 'tragedy'
March 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A team of doctors at Comer Children's Hospital struggled for 12 hours to try to save the life of 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins, but the damage was overwhelming.
- PHOTOS: Images from the scene after 6-month-old shot
- STORY: 6-month-old dies after South Side shooting
Jonylah was shot several times as her father changed her diaper inside a vehicle in the 6500-block of South Maryland.
"This sweet baby had almost every organ system touched. Her lung was touched. Her liver was touched. Her diaphragm was destroyed," Dr. Rachel Wolfson said.
For 12 hours, doctors treated the baby in both the operating room and the intensive care unit. They say she was bleeding profusely and needed her blood volume replaced at least five times.
She was also resuscitated several times, doctors said, and at one point her bleeding slowed. Doctors say they were surprised they kept her alive as long as they did.
"The amount of resources we brought to bear to help her was immense," Dr. Mark Slidell said.
Her father, Jonathan Watkins, 29, was also injured. Police say he has an extensive criminal record and was the intended target.
"No matter how this happened, she's someone's baby, and grandbaby and niece and it's horrible. But in the moment, you just get the job done," Dr. Wolfson said.
"This was a beautiful child who didn't have a role in what happened to her. It's a tragedy to lose a child like this for any reason," Dr. Slidell said.
Funeral services for Jonylah will be held at New Beginnings Church at 6620 S. King Dr. on Tuesday, March 19. A wake will take place at 10 a.m., with the funeral to begin at 11 a.m.
local, karen jordan
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 11 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson 26 min ago
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 14 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 To Go, December 12, 2013
51 min ago