7 Things to know about Pope Francis
NEW YORK -- Here's a list of 7 things to know about Pope Francis, the newly elected pontiff.
1) Pope Francis, 76-year-old Jorge Bergoglio, is the first Jesuit pope.
2) He is the first pope from Latin America.
3) He had a lung removed due to infection when he was a teenager.
4) He is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.
5) He's never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires. He lived in a small downtown room heated by a small stove.
6) He preferred to take public transportation in Argentina.
7) He couldn't stop the legalization of gay marriage, or the promotion of free contraception and artificial insemination in Argentina.
papal conclave, pope francis, local news
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 18 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Video: I-Team: Wanted by international police
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- 1 injured after car collides with school bus in Kenosha
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Woman charged after crashing car into Burbank house
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
18 min ago