7 Things to know about Pope Francis
NEW YORK -- Here's a list of 7 things to know about Pope Francis, the newly elected pontiff.
1) Pope Francis, 76-year-old Jorge Bergoglio, is the first Jesuit pope.
2) He is the first pope from Latin America.
3) He had a lung removed due to infection when he was a teenager.
4) He is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.
5) He's never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires. He lived in a small downtown room heated by a small stove.
6) He preferred to take public transportation in Argentina.
7) He couldn't stop the legalization of gay marriage, or the promotion of free contraception and artificial insemination in Argentina.
papal conclave, pope francis, local news
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 20 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 17 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 2 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout