7 Things to know about Pope Francis
NEW YORK -- Here's a list of 7 things to know about Pope Francis, the newly elected pontiff.
1) Pope Francis, 76-year-old Jorge Bergoglio, is the first Jesuit pope.
2) He is the first pope from Latin America.
3) He had a lung removed due to infection when he was a teenager.
4) He is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.
5) He's never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires. He lived in a small downtown room heated by a small stove.
6) He preferred to take public transportation in Argentina.
7) He couldn't stop the legalization of gay marriage, or the promotion of free contraception and artificial insemination in Argentina.
papal conclave, pope francis, local news
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year