Boy struck by Metra train in Barrington
March 15, 2013 (BARRINGTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- An 11-year-old-boy was struck by a Metra train in northwest suburban Barrington Friday night.UPDATE: Boy hit by Metra train in Barrington 'critical,' schools supt. says
He was rushed to a hospital where his condition was still unknown late Friday night.
The boy was hit near the Barrington Metra station at about 6 p.m. Friday evening.
Barrington police said the boy suffered severe injuries when he was struck by the Metra train.
Metra trains were moving Friday night after being delayed throughout the evening rush hour. It was just after 6 p.m. when Train 656, headed inbound to Ogilvie Station, hit an 11-year-old boy on the tracks in Barrington.
"I wouldn't want to be the parents at the end of that phone call. My son is 10, that's close to 11," said witness Daniel Madigan.
"Our officer administered first aid along with a witness, the fire department arrived and treated the 11-year-old," said Barrington Assistant Police Chief David Dorn.
Another witness snapped a picture of the rescue effort. Police say the boy was transported by ambulance to Lutheran General Hospital.
"There are severe injuries, but we don't know the extent of those injuries right now," Dorn said.
"I came out here and saw 20-30 people looking at the tracks," Madigan said. "You can see firefighters looking under the train."
Metra officials say passengers were on the train that struck the boy. The accident stopped Metra traffic in both directions, delaying trains up to 90 minutes both ways.
"It was a little delay, but nothing we couldn't handle," said Metra rider David Aguado.
"Overall, it wasn't as bad as it could have been," said Betsy Zimmerman.
Many questions still remain about how it happened, whether the boy was alone or with other people.
local, stacey baca
- China-bound jet vanishes with 239 people aboard 12 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 26 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 28 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- China-bound jet vanishes with 239 people...
12 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
19 min ago