Albany Park police shooting kills suspect, authorities say
March 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police say officers shot and killed a suspect on the city's Northwest Side Saturday.
ABC7 Chicago is told the man was driving a gray Jeep and was speeding down Wilson Avenue at approximately 3 a.m. The driver reportedly hit several parked cars, and police followed the vehicle to investigate.
Chicago police say the suspect then opened fire on the officers.
The Fraternal Order of Police union spokesperson described what happened.
"As they approached the vehicle, the offender opened fire on the officers. They dove for cover and returned fire. The suspect was hit fatally," said FOP spokesperson Pat Camden.
Some witnesses say they heard a crash, rushed out of their homes, then heard several shots fired near Wilson and Kimball in the Albany Park neighborhood.
"I heard a crash and with my friend. I went to go inside, and all I saw was a car stopped, and I just saw a shooting," said neighbor Alejandro Villegas.
"I saw the perpatrator speeding down the street and the cops chasing right after him. He crashed down the street. I heard screaming to get down or get out of the car, and after that I heard three shots. After that, I heard return fire, and that's when I ran back inside," neighbor Douglas Quintanilla said.
The officers sustained injuries as they were diving for cover. They were taken to Illinois Masonic hospital for treatment.
Crime scene tape remained in place hours later as authorities continued to investigate.
Wilson was shut down at Kimball.
local, diane pathieu
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds