Albany Park police shooting kills suspect, authorities say
March 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police say officers shot and killed a suspect on the city's Northwest Side Saturday.
ABC7 Chicago is told the man was driving a gray Jeep and was speeding down Wilson Avenue at approximately 3 a.m. The driver reportedly hit several parked cars, and police followed the vehicle to investigate.
Chicago police say the suspect then opened fire on the officers.
The Fraternal Order of Police union spokesperson described what happened.
"As they approached the vehicle, the offender opened fire on the officers. They dove for cover and returned fire. The suspect was hit fatally," said FOP spokesperson Pat Camden.
Some witnesses say they heard a crash, rushed out of their homes, then heard several shots fired near Wilson and Kimball in the Albany Park neighborhood.
"I heard a crash and with my friend. I went to go inside, and all I saw was a car stopped, and I just saw a shooting," said neighbor Alejandro Villegas.
"I saw the perpatrator speeding down the street and the cops chasing right after him. He crashed down the street. I heard screaming to get down or get out of the car, and after that I heard three shots. After that, I heard return fire, and that's when I ran back inside," neighbor Douglas Quintanilla said.
The officers sustained injuries as they were diving for cover. They were taken to Illinois Masonic hospital for treatment.
Crime scene tape remained in place hours later as authorities continued to investigate.
Wilson was shut down at Kimball.
local, diane pathieu
- CTA Red Line resumes service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan 36 min ago
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill 56 min ago
- No injuries at South Side high-rise fire 28 min ago
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile
- Homewood bank robbers hiding in complex, police say 29 min ago
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with...
- Paul Konerko signs White Sox 1-year extension
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- ABC7 To Go, December 4, 2013
31 min ago