DUI charges filed in deadly, wrong-way LSD crash
March 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A North Chicago police officer is charged with DUI and reckless homicide in a fatal crash that tied up traffic on Lake Shore Drive for hours.
PHOTOS: Fatal crash on Lake Shore Drive
Terrell Garrett faces two counts of aggravated driving under the influence and two counts of reckless homicide, according to Sally Daly, spokeswoman at the Cook County state's attorney's office. Charges were filed on Saturday afternoon.
Garrett allegedly drove the wrong way on Lake Shore Drive, striking two cars head on in the southbound lane near LaSalle around 4 a.m. Friday morning. Two people -- Fabian Torres, 27, and Joaquin Garcia, 25-- were killed. A third person was treated at the hospital and released.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive from Belmont to Fullerton for several hours during the morning commute.
Garrett, who was relieved of his police powers and placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, remains hospitalized. It isn't clear if he will appear in court for his bond hearing on Sunday.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home