'Jitney' cab driver shot to death in Princeton Park area
March 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A ''jitney'' cab driver has died four days after he was shot during a robbery.
The driver was shot on Thursday in Chicago's Princeton Park neighborhood on the South Side. Police say he was driving an unlicensed taxi when he was robbed.
Police say the unlicensed cab driver picked up the two suspects at the intersection of West 85th Street and South Parnell Avenue. Apparently, they didn't want a ride--they wanted to rob the driver, 48-year-old Edwin Obazuaye.
Investigators say, on Thursday evening, the male suspects got into Obazuaye's unmarked cab and demanded his possessions. At least one of the robbers started shooting in the vicinity of 91st and South Lafayette, striking the "jitney" cab driver in the head and back.
Obazuaye was hospitalized for four days before he died Monday night.
Police say the two suspects fled on foot after the shooting. It is unclear what they stole. Regardless, those men are now wanted for murder.
local, jason knowles
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 37 min ago
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings 33 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Man shot in Lincoln Square 5 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos