CPS school closings support plans in place, CEO says
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The head of Chicago Public Schools says the district will soon release a list of schools recommended for closure.
In a statement issued earlier Wednesday night, CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said, "the district must consolidate... to get students into higher performing schools."
The Chicago Sun-Times reports CPS plans to close more than 50 elementary schools to trim a 400 million dollar budget deficit.
A spokesperson for the district says 50 is not the correct number.
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...