CPS school closings support plans in place, CEO says
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The head of Chicago Public Schools says the district will soon release a list of schools recommended for closure.
In a statement issued earlier Wednesday night, CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said, "the district must consolidate... to get students into higher performing schools."
The Chicago Sun-Times reports CPS plans to close more than 50 elementary schools to trim a 400 million dollar budget deficit.
A spokesperson for the district says 50 is not the correct number.
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- Report: Judge to hear CPS school closings case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- Cook County sheriff provides free child ID kits
- Some construction suspended over holiday weekend
- Couple implicated in boy's death enter plea
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- 7 in :77