CPS school closings support plans in place, CEO says
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The head of Chicago Public Schools says the district will soon release a list of schools recommended for closure.
In a statement issued earlier Wednesday night, CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said, "the district must consolidate... to get students into higher performing schools."
The Chicago Sun-Times reports CPS plans to close more than 50 elementary schools to trim a 400 million dollar budget deficit.
A spokesperson for the district says 50 is not the correct number.
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 14 min ago
- Glenview, Chicago cops accused of lying in court 19 min ago
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools 41 min ago
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos