Simeon, Morgan Park celebrate basketball championships
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Students at two Chicago high schools are celebrating the success of their basketball teams today.
Both Simeon and Morgan Park High Schools won state championships.
It was fanfare for a four-peat, a pep rally celebrating Simeon High School's fourth consecutive class 4A state basketball championship.
"This was great for us," said Robert Smith Simeon head basketball coach. "This may be the hardest team to let go because we were so connected with each other on and off the court."
"Me being in my senior year, I wanted to go out on top and that's what we did," said Simeon player Jaylon Tate.
Simeon was ranked sixth in the country this season, which was capped off with a 58-40 victory over Stevenson High School to clinch the title.
The effort was led by star player Jabari Parker.
"Going out, having a passion for the game, just going out every day with the love and I think that just keeps me on the straight and narrow," Parker said.
About four miles down Vincennes Avenue is another basketball powerhouse, and Simeon arch rival, Morgan Park High School.
The teams often play each other and there was controversy in January when the teams got in a fight and the coaches were suspended.
But not only did Simeon redeem itself, so did Morgan Park, which is celebrating its own class 3A basketball championship.
"We haven't won a championship in 30-something years, and just to get it and bring it back to Morgan Park where it belongs, it's a great feeling," said Nick Irvin, Morgan Park head basketball coach.
"It means a lot to our student body, it means a lot to our faculty and staff and the smile that we put on their faces, it's amazing," said Billy Garret.
Morgan Park beat Cahokia 63-48.
local, karen jordan
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 9 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 55 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos