Man charged in Calumet City murder of teen
March 22, 2013 (CALUMET CITY, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 20-year-old suburban Chicago man who allegedly shot through the window of a Calumet City home has been charged in the death of a 15-year-old Indiana girl.
Eric Anthony Brown, of Calumet City, was charged Thursday with two counts of first-degree murder in the death of Ashaya Miller and aggravated battery in the wounding of a 19-year-old man. he pleaded not guilty Friday. The judge set bail at $10 million.
Miller was visiting her aunt's house in Calumet City. Her cousin was shot in the elbow.
Calumet City Police Chief Edward Gilmore says Miller, of Hammond, and her cousin were in the kitchen of a home when someone came into the gangway and fired shots into a window. The girl was wounded several times and later died at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Police said the girl wasn't the intended target. Prosecutors say the shooting was gang related.
"It is a sad and tragic occurrence that this young lady had to lose her life for what appears to be no reason," said Gilmore.
Miller's family held a vigil Friday night in her honor.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 18 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL 15 min ago
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse 21 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing 5 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77