Man charged in Calumet City murder of teen
March 22, 2013 (CALUMET CITY, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 20-year-old suburban Chicago man who allegedly shot through the window of a Calumet City home has been charged in the death of a 15-year-old Indiana girl.
Eric Anthony Brown, of Calumet City, was charged Thursday with two counts of first-degree murder in the death of Ashaya Miller and aggravated battery in the wounding of a 19-year-old man. he pleaded not guilty Friday. The judge set bail at $10 million.
Miller was visiting her aunt's house in Calumet City. Her cousin was shot in the elbow.
Calumet City Police Chief Edward Gilmore says Miller, of Hammond, and her cousin were in the kitchen of a home when someone came into the gangway and fired shots into a window. The girl was wounded several times and later died at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Police said the girl wasn't the intended target. Prosecutors say the shooting was gang related.
"It is a sad and tragic occurrence that this young lady had to lose her life for what appears to be no reason," said Gilmore.
Miller's family held a vigil Friday night in her honor.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 35 min ago
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more 23 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
14 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
35 min ago
- Trio of new distilleries open in Chicago
24 min ago