Woman struck, killed in hit-and-run crash
March 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A driver struck and killed a woman with a car in the Brighton Park neighborhood and police say they have made an arrest.
Grieving relatives say 58-year-old Ida Quintanilla was crossing Archer with her sister Thursday night when a dark-colored SUV hit and killed her.
Relatives and witnesses were inside the 8th District police station Friday night. They viewed a line-up that included the suspect who is in custody.
"We lost our mother, we're never going to get her back," said Victor Quintanilla, the victim's son.
Family members are still coming to grips with the death of the woman they say took care of everyone else.
The driver, according to witnesses, then sped off.
"When she got halfway is when the car turned and hit her, then ran over her and then dragged her, and kept going and left her there," Sylvia Castillo, the victim's sister.
Several witnesses came forward, including one who may have gotten the vehicle's license plate. Relatives are grateful and hopeful more witnesses might come forward.
"She did not deserve this to happen to her the way it did. It's wrong and justice needs to be servied," said Victor Quintanilla.
She was pronounced dead on the scene. Thanks to the license plate, investigators were able to take a suspect in for questioning within hours. Her family hopes police have the right one.
"Very sweet, very giving, a kind-hearted woman," Sergio Quintanilla said.
Family members are hoping there might be video from some the businesses' security cameras along Archer to strengthen the case police are building.
local, john garcia
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 37 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 23 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 59 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster 22 min ago
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum 9 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
23 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
59 min ago