Woman struck, killed in hit-and-run crash
March 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A driver struck and killed a woman with a car in the Brighton Park neighborhood and police say they have made an arrest.
Grieving relatives say 58-year-old Ida Quintanilla was crossing Archer with her sister Thursday night when a dark-colored SUV hit and killed her.
Relatives and witnesses were inside the 8th District police station Friday night. They viewed a line-up that included the suspect who is in custody.
"We lost our mother, we're never going to get her back," said Victor Quintanilla, the victim's son.
Family members are still coming to grips with the death of the woman they say took care of everyone else.
The driver, according to witnesses, then sped off.
"When she got halfway is when the car turned and hit her, then ran over her and then dragged her, and kept going and left her there," Sylvia Castillo, the victim's sister.
Several witnesses came forward, including one who may have gotten the vehicle's license plate. Relatives are grateful and hopeful more witnesses might come forward.
"She did not deserve this to happen to her the way it did. It's wrong and justice needs to be servied," said Victor Quintanilla.
She was pronounced dead on the scene. Thanks to the license plate, investigators were able to take a suspect in for questioning within hours. Her family hopes police have the right one.
"Very sweet, very giving, a kind-hearted woman," Sergio Quintanilla said.
Family members are hoping there might be video from some the businesses' security cameras along Archer to strengthen the case police are building.
local, john garcia
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 51 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 48 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days 9 min ago
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
51 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
48 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos