Tyshaun McClurge death: Police await evidence to determine if teen shot himself accidentally
March 25, 2013 (CALUMET CITY, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in south suburban Calumet City, Ill., said Monday they awaiting ballistics tests on the death of a teenager who was shot over the weekend.
Tyshaun McClurge,17, was shot to death Saturday night at a friend's house, and authorities believe he might have accidentally shot himself.
Calumet City police investigators updated the case Monday morning as they awaited the results of an autopsy being performed the same day.
"This seems to be, on the onset, a very tragic accident," said Calumet City Police Asst. Chief Dante Zorzi.
Authorities were being cautious not to label the shooting death as an accident prematurely.
"We want to be sure that all of our bases are covered and all of the witnesses are interviewed, and we need the autopsy and the evidence to support some of the things that are being told to us at this time by witnesses," said Zorzi.
Preliminary reports appear to indicate that a bullet was inadvertently left in the chamber of the gun, even though the clip was removed.
Police say it is unclear where the gun came from.
McClurge is the second Calumet City teenager to die from gunfire in the span of a week.
"Unfortunately, it's happening across the country. [It's] something that needs to be addressed, as far as how these kids are getting guns in their hands," Zorzi said.
Pamela McClurge, Tyshaun's aunt, told ABC7 the gun did not belong to her nephew, and she could not imagine where it came from.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 7 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing 37 min ago
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp 28 min ago
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery 15 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 28 min ago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Ready For Spring Planting
9 min ago
- Daily Herald: Aspiring Park Ranger
12 min ago
- UCP Seguin 1 year after merger
52 min ago
- Earth Day Family Fun: Dirt dessert recipe
55 min ago