Police officer rescues woman from burning townhouse in Oak Forest
March 25, 2013 (OAK FOREST, Ill.) (WLS) -- A police officer rescued a woman trapped inside a burning townhouse in south suburban Oak Forest on Monday morning.
Witnesses say the flames erupted without warning inside the home just before 9:00 a.m., prompting them to dial 911.
"The neighbor upstairs said she heard a loud popping noise and I think she's the one who called 911," said Jason Stolzenbach, resident.
"The police came and they told my son and daughter to go outside," said Maricela Munoz, resident.
Firefighters arrived on the scene to escort residents out of the building, and also assisted the police officer who helped rescue the woman. Both the officer and woman were transported to an area hospital, where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
"He was beat back by the heat and smoke. . . Our guys went in and quickly got others out," said Oak Forest Fire Chief Terry Lipinski.
"I'm just glad everyone got out safe. It's pretty alarming to wake up to that," said Juan Munoz, resident.
Authorities are investigating the cause of the fire. According to preliminary reports, the fire started in the living room of the second floor unit.
The property manager said the other units sustained minimal damage because fire walls were installed.
local, evelyn holmes
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 46 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
46 min ago