Winter storm buries thoughts of Spring in Central Illinois
March 25, 2013 (CHAMPAIGN, Ill.) (WLS) -- A winter storm dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest.
While the storm just skirted Chicago, most of Sourthern and Central Illinois were buried in snow.
In Springfield, a record setting 18-inches of snow fell on the state capitol.
Just north of Champaign, residents in Rantoul dug out several inches of snow.
"I took a break around 1:00 a.m and it was still coming down pretty good. Took an hour nap and was back at it pulling people out of ditches and plowing people put of their driveways," said Ariel Rogers, snow plow driver.
"This is not what spring is supposed to look like," said resident Kathy Jenkins. "If you look under that bunch of snow there my flowers are up, so i know spring is around the corner."
On I-57, there were dozens of spinouts. One started as a two-car accident, which worsened as people stopped to help.
"Feels like the car is shaking to death. We counted 35 cars, coming up through here," said Bill Ragland, driver.
Overnight, stranded drivers resorted to booking nearby hotels.
"We got sold out. We got 82 rooms and sold out," said Khalid Hussain, Days Inn Rantoul.
Throughout the Midwest, moderate scattered snow showers were expected to continue Monday.
local, michelle gallardo
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos