What do you do if your car is submerged in water?
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Seconds count when you're in a car that's sinking in water.
Starting in April, 911 operators who get frantic calls will offer new advice.
March 11 in Romeoville: A man dies when his Grand Prix rolled into a retention pond.
Two days earlier in Aurora: A strikingly similar scene claimed the life of a woman off Interstate 88.
And in Wilmington: 4-teens died in a submerged car after sliding off an icy road.
Chicago Fire Department divers have long known seconds matter. Now new research gets even more specific, you have just 30 to 60 seconds to act. Once the car is submerged, the doors will not open.
Whether it's a tightly controlled demonstration in Florida or in icy, unforgiving waters in Chicago, the message is the same.
Watch the clock. A second after hitting the water, seatbelts off and then, windows down. Within 8 seconds, both front seat passengers are out. Water is now rushing in and the back seat passengers scramble. In some cars like this one, rear windows won't roll down all the way. The escape is out the front. Everyone is safe in under 20 seconds.
"The point is everyone knew what they were supposed to do. Get your seatbelt off, open the window, period," University of Manitoba professor Gordon Giesbrecht said.
local, ben bradley
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 59 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 To Go, December 11, 2013
10 min ago
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
59 min ago