Kidney donation makes friends into sisters
March 27, 2013 (TINLEY PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- They sing together in a suburban church choir. Now they're living their lives in perfect harmony, thanks to a medical match.
Forty-five-year-old Tonya Moore and 39-year-old Rosa Covarrubias now consider themselves sisters after Covarrubias decided to donate one of her kidneys to Moore.
Lupus attacked Moore's kidneys when she was in her 20s. And, in her 40s, she quickly declined and was on dialysis three times a week. They underwent the transplant surgery in December and Moore immediately felt better.
Both women are longtime members of Family Harvest Church in Tinley Park, where they sing in the church choir.
When Covarrubias saw that her friend's health was failing, she offered to help.
When Covarrubias found out she was a perfect match, she discussed her decision with her two teenage children. She says at first she was terrified.
Moore now has a new lease on life, thanks to her friend who gave her the gift of life.
The two religious members of the Family Harvest Church in Tinley Park look forward to attending the church and singing in the choir -- but most of all to being bonded to each other forever.
Moore and Covarrubias are very religious and they say it is their faith that brought them together and through a difficult period.
Covarrubias says she does not miss her kidney and Moore says she has never felt better.
Covarrubias is planning her 40th birthday party in May and Moore, her new sister, will be at the party dancing all night. Both want people to think about being donors and saving a life.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day 53 min ago
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey retired...
46 min ago