Children rescued from icy Lake Zurich
March 27, 2013 (LAKE ZURICH, Ill.) (WLS) -- Four children were rescued from icy Lake Zurich in Paulus Park.
After 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, fire rescue officials responded to a report of people in the water in Lake Zurich, authorities said. Two teenagers and two younger children had fallen through the ice while walking on the partially frozen water.
They were rescued by firefighters shortly after 3:00 p.m. and the teens were taken to a hospital, officials said.
The younger kids were treated at the scene, according to the Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department.
According to authorities, the four people rescued are all expected to be okay.
The Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department warned the public about the dangers of icy bodies of water.
"Ice, especially at this time of year, is very dangerous and not likely strong enough to support much if any weight. No one should test the ice once warmer temperatures have been present and open areas of water are evident. This could have been a very tragic incident, as the cold-water temperature will quickly overcome people," they said in a press release.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 48 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 22 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
48 min ago