Children rescued from icy Lake Zurich
March 27, 2013 (LAKE ZURICH, Ill.) (WLS) -- Four children were rescued from icy Lake Zurich in Paulus Park.
After 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, fire rescue officials responded to a report of people in the water in Lake Zurich, authorities said. Two teenagers and two younger children had fallen through the ice while walking on the partially frozen water.
They were rescued by firefighters shortly after 3:00 p.m. and the teens were taken to a hospital, officials said.
The younger kids were treated at the scene, according to the Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department.
According to authorities, the four people rescued are all expected to be okay.
The Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department warned the public about the dangers of icy bodies of water.
"Ice, especially at this time of year, is very dangerous and not likely strong enough to support much if any weight. No one should test the ice once warmer temperatures have been present and open areas of water are evident. This could have been a very tragic incident, as the cold-water temperature will quickly overcome people," they said in a press release.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash 30 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet 54 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 57 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple... 10 min ago
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77