Amanda Bach murder: Dustin McCowan sentenced to 60 years in prison
March 28, 2013 (VALPARAISO, Ind.) (WLS) -- Portage, Indiana teen Amanda Bach was found dead about 300 feet from her one-time boyfriend Dustin McCowan's home in September 2011.
On Thursday 20-year-old McCowan received the near-maximum sentence Thursday for the shooting death of Bach. He was convicted for the murder in February 2013.
Before his sentence was handed down, McCowan refused to make a statement to the court.
"I don't think this court deserves it," he said defiantly.
McCowan offered a slight smile in the courtroom just minutes after a Porter County judge sentenced him to 60 years behind bars.
Amanda Bach's mother Sandy Bach took the stand at the sentencing hearing to describe the impact of loss of her daughter at the age of 19.
Though tears, she said, "I will not let you get the best of me Dustin, I will not. You can't even look at me, can you?"
In an unusual argument, prosecutors blamed not only Dustin McCowan but also his family. The judge revealed today an unidentified relative was heard on a prison phone telling him:
"It would be appropriate if the deputy prosecuting attorneys' children were killed so they would know what it's like."
Dustin McCowan's father Elliott McCowan is a Crown Point police officer. The sheriff's office previously said they were looking into whether he helped hide the murder weapon.
local, ben bradley
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 2 min ago
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine says
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
2 min ago