New clues about missing student from Bryn Mawr (PHOTOS)
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - March 29, 2013 -- A newly released surveillance video shows a man matching the description of a missing Brown University student from Bryn Mawr, walking on a Providence, Rhode Island street shortly after he disappeared.
Sunil Tripathi, 22, went missing March 16. The video shows a man walking south on Brook Street near Sunil's apartment on March 16 at about 1:30 a.m., about 20 minutes after his last-recorded computer activity.
The man on the video is tall and skinny and is wearing a black cap, dark jacket and jeans, matching Sunil's description.
Sunil's family has asked area businesses to turn over their surveillance footage in their efforts to find him.
"It's nothing definitive, unfortunately, but it does provide us a better timeline and direction that he possibly could have gone," said Sunil's brother, Ravi.
Sunil graduated from Radnor High School. A philosophy major, he had taken a year off to figure out his future. His family says he suffered from depression but seemed fine. A short, cryptic note left in his room didn't provide investigators with any direction.
"He's in contact with multiple family members probably every day so this is incredibly unusual and out of the ordinary. It's not something that we even would have expected. It has taken us all by surprise," said Ravi.
Sunil's family has traveled to Providence to help police and the FBI with the expanding investigation. Social media is generating widespread attention to the case. Reports are coming in from up and down the east coast from people claiming they've seen Sunil but, so far, his disappearance remains a mystery.
Ravi said the family is keeping up hope that Sunil will be found safe and sound.
"It feels like a little bit of progress and a little bit of hope for us," Ravi said.
The Bryn Mawr, Pa., native was on leave from the Ivy League school but living in an apartment near campus with several other Brown students.
Anyone with information on Sunil Tripathi's whereabouts is asked to call Providence Police at (401) 243-6191.
pennsylvania, rhode island, missing person, local/state
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Jury deliberates in Allan Kustok murder trial 51 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 36 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space 52 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
abc7chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos