Family of fire victim grateful for fundraiser
March 30, 2013 (MCHENRY, Ill.) (WLS) -- There was quite a show of support at a fundraiser benefitting the family of 12-year-old Dayana Garcia, who died in a house fire earlier this month in far northwest suburban McHenry.
Those who came together Saturday included family, friends and a Chicago Bears offensive lineman.
Lissett Garcia says she is truly thankful that the community of McHenry has rallied around her family during what's been a devastating time.
"We are blessed. A lot of people taking time to be with us, it's good support for us," said Lissett Garcia.
Support that includes the well wishes of Chicago Bears offensive lineman Roberto Garza, who spent some time at a fundraiser in honor of Dayana.
She died March 8, after a fire started in the downstairs living room of her family's McHenry home in the middle of the night.
Her parents and three brothers escaped the fire by jumping out of a second-floor window.
"It's a tragedy what happened to the family. Not only losing their home, but I can't imagine as a parent losing a child," said Garza.
Local businesses and volunteers organized the event at McHenry West Campus High School to raise money for a new home and amenities for the family.
It included a fun fair and an Easter egg hunt.
Friends, family and neighbors were pleased with the turnout, but not surprised. They say helping people is what McHenry is all about.
"You got hundreds and hundreds of people out here. Businesses are out here trying to help with the fundraisers, donating their time, their efforts, it's a great community to be in," said neighbor Gary Mertz.
Organizers have already raised more than $2,000 of their $20,000 goal.
local, karen jordan
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos