Arrests after Michigan Ave. mob disturbance
Chicago police arrested several people after a mob caused a big downtown disturbance on Michigan and Chicago Avenues Saturday night.
It started around 7:30 Saturday evening as a large group of young people made their way down the Magnificent Mile, at times scuffling with police.
"This was a planned attack," said community activist Andrew Holmes. "You had these many people down here and that many people just running from one side of the street, jumping on people on the east side, then they come back on the west side and jump on the people."
This Easter weekend, people were enjoying the milder weather and shopping on the Magnificent Mile.
According to police, a disturbance broke out and police responded quickly in the area of Michigan and Chicago Avenues.
Holmes said that hundreds of teenagers took over the sidewalks on Chicago Ave., terrorizing shoppers.
"You had over 300-400 teens just walking the streets," Holmes said. "Some of the citizens just enjoying the nice day out. You had a lot of mob action going on, but I'm shocked by the amount of the women teenagers that were assaulting people."
"I am concerned, I am aware that there are a lot of police officers here and I think that they're trying to manage the situation," said area resident Melissa Meier.
Police arrested a number of offenders in relation to the disturbance. Police presence has increased in the area.
"We have seen a good amount of teenagers arrested, and I caution those parents that want to point the finger at the Chicago Police Department. Point the finger at your teenagers for being down there assaulting these people down here.
Residents and shoppers say they are concerned.
"The parents need to disciplining their children a lot more. That way, they wouldn't have come out into the streets like this, I think it's just absolutely ridiculous," said Derek Burns.
"I think it's horrible," said area resident Doreen Cohen. "I don't understand why this keeps happening, I really don't."
Police have not released the number arrested, why they were arrested or whether there have been any charges filed.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 8 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 28 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 21 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. 'soft lockdown' lifted after arrests
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 42 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former... 36 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
38 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos