Arrests after Michigan Ave. mob disturbance
Chicago police arrested several people after a mob caused a big downtown disturbance on Michigan and Chicago Avenues Saturday night.
It started around 7:30 Saturday evening as a large group of young people made their way down the Magnificent Mile, at times scuffling with police.
"This was a planned attack," said community activist Andrew Holmes. "You had these many people down here and that many people just running from one side of the street, jumping on people on the east side, then they come back on the west side and jump on the people."
This Easter weekend, people were enjoying the milder weather and shopping on the Magnificent Mile.
According to police, a disturbance broke out and police responded quickly in the area of Michigan and Chicago Avenues.
Holmes said that hundreds of teenagers took over the sidewalks on Chicago Ave., terrorizing shoppers.
"You had over 300-400 teens just walking the streets," Holmes said. "Some of the citizens just enjoying the nice day out. You had a lot of mob action going on, but I'm shocked by the amount of the women teenagers that were assaulting people."
"I am concerned, I am aware that there are a lot of police officers here and I think that they're trying to manage the situation," said area resident Melissa Meier.
Police arrested a number of offenders in relation to the disturbance. Police presence has increased in the area.
"We have seen a good amount of teenagers arrested, and I caution those parents that want to point the finger at the Chicago Police Department. Point the finger at your teenagers for being down there assaulting these people down here.
Residents and shoppers say they are concerned.
"The parents need to disciplining their children a lot more. That way, they wouldn't have come out into the streets like this, I think it's just absolutely ridiculous," said Derek Burns.
"I think it's horrible," said area resident Doreen Cohen. "I don't understand why this keeps happening, I really don't."
Police have not released the number arrested, why they were arrested or whether there have been any charges filed.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 39 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 45 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 19 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 50 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
53 min ago