Easter Sunday celebrated across Chicago
March 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Across the country and around the world people celebrated Easter Sunday, and from Chicago to the Vatican, Christians gathered to worship, sing and pray.
It's the day on the Christian calendar when Christ rose from the dead after his crucifixion, a fundamental belief that is the foundation on which the faith is build.
Christians from across the Chicago area are celebrating Easter and while the day is about the resurrection of Christ, for many its represents a message of hope.
"Today is extra special because God has come back today," said Tamara Johnson.
At Armitage Baptist Church, there was a message of God's grace as this Holy Day was observed.
"Easter's important because as we celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ we gather together as a local community," said Jonathon Avila.
Easter is the most important day of the year for Christians, marking the day they believe Jesus Christ was resurrected, after dying on the cross.
Church members gathered Sunday morning for services at the Gold Coast Cathedral of Fourth Presbyterian Church.
Another Sunday brought long lines and standing room only crowds at Holy Name Cathedral.
There, Francis Cardinal George urged believers to let love transform life as he presided as the main celebrant during Easter services.
"We should all try to emulate that," he said. "We all play a lot of games sometimes and we're afraid to show ourselves. but God loves us no matter what we show to him."
While Christians of many denominations may have celebrated Easter differently, some say the message of finding rebirth and renewal through faith remains the same.
"It's not an old message," said Kami Lerma. "It's for everyday and goes on forever and that everyone can come back home."
Easter is Sunday for Christians who follow the western calendar. It will be May 5th for eastern Christianity.
Believers say their hope is by practicing and applying Christian teachings their faith will act as a guide to help them through life.
- Beverly mom Jamie Duignan, children found safe in eastern Wisconsin 2 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos