Easter Sunday celebrated across Chicago
March 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Across the country and around the world people celebrated Easter Sunday, and from Chicago to the Vatican, Christians gathered to worship, sing and pray.
It's the day on the Christian calendar when Christ rose from the dead after his crucifixion, a fundamental belief that is the foundation on which the faith is build.
Christians from across the Chicago area are celebrating Easter and while the day is about the resurrection of Christ, for many its represents a message of hope.
"Today is extra special because God has come back today," said Tamara Johnson.
At Armitage Baptist Church, there was a message of God's grace as this Holy Day was observed.
"Easter's important because as we celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ we gather together as a local community," said Jonathon Avila.
Easter is the most important day of the year for Christians, marking the day they believe Jesus Christ was resurrected, after dying on the cross.
Church members gathered Sunday morning for services at the Gold Coast Cathedral of Fourth Presbyterian Church.
Another Sunday brought long lines and standing room only crowds at Holy Name Cathedral.
There, Francis Cardinal George urged believers to let love transform life as he presided as the main celebrant during Easter services.
"We should all try to emulate that," he said. "We all play a lot of games sometimes and we're afraid to show ourselves. but God loves us no matter what we show to him."
While Christians of many denominations may have celebrated Easter differently, some say the message of finding rebirth and renewal through faith remains the same.
"It's not an old message," said Kami Lerma. "It's for everyday and goes on forever and that everyone can come back home."
Easter is Sunday for Christians who follow the western calendar. It will be May 5th for eastern Christianity.
Believers say their hope is by practicing and applying Christian teachings their faith will act as a guide to help them through life.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 49 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 56 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
49 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
56 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
52 min ago