Merrillville shooting could be gang related
April 3, 2013 (MERRILLVILLE, Ind.) (WLS) -- Police in the northwestern Indiana town of Merrillville are speaking about the shooting death of a boy there.
Fourteen-year-old Depree Mims was shot and killed in his home last month.
Police say the killing of the eighth-grader could be gang-related, but they didn't say Mims was the intended target.
Police described Mims as a respectful young boy.
"The family was very protective of Depree. If he wanted to go to church with the family, all eight brothers and sisters would go with him," said a Merrillville Police spokesperson. "He was kind of a sheltered kid."
Four suspects were taken into custody and have been charged with his murder.
Police say they can't remember any other similar shootings in Merrillville.
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs 39 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 35 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 47 min ago
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 34 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe 1 min ago
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths 30 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs 29 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest 33 min ago
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago 59 min ago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
47 min ago
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city,...
39 min ago
- Settlement reached after lottery winner's...
13 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
35 min ago