Merrillville shooting could be gang related
April 3, 2013 (MERRILLVILLE, Ind.) (WLS) -- Police in the northwestern Indiana town of Merrillville are speaking about the shooting death of a boy there.
Fourteen-year-old Depree Mims was shot and killed in his home last month.
Police say the killing of the eighth-grader could be gang-related, but they didn't say Mims was the intended target.
Police described Mims as a respectful young boy.
"The family was very protective of Depree. If he wanted to go to church with the family, all eight brothers and sisters would go with him," said a Merrillville Police spokesperson. "He was kind of a sheltered kid."
Four suspects were taken into custody and have been charged with his murder.
Police say they can't remember any other similar shootings in Merrillville.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 33 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North 29 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant