Chicago cop commits suicide after rape allegation
April 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer took his own life while sources say he was under investigation for the rape of a 17-year-old girl.
Chicago police confirm a rape was reported this weekend on the block where the officer lived.
The medical examiner confirms it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound that ended the life of 48-year-old Edgar Neal a 26-year veteran of the force.
A woman says her 17-year-old daughter was at a drinking party with school friends and one of them took her to another man's house.
"She told me my daughter had been raped by a police officer," the woman said.
The teen's family says she was asked to view a lineup to identify her attacker.
Then they learned of the reported suicide of Officer Neal.
The lineup was cancelled Wednesday.
The mother of the 17-year-old alleged victim says her daughter is now dealing with feeling responsible for the death of the man she says raped her.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits