Chicago cop commits suicide after rape allegation
April 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer took his own life while sources say he was under investigation for the rape of a 17-year-old girl.
Chicago police confirm a rape was reported this weekend on the block where the officer lived.
The medical examiner confirms it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound that ended the life of 48-year-old Edgar Neal a 26-year veteran of the force.
A woman says her 17-year-old daughter was at a drinking party with school friends and one of them took her to another man's house.
"She told me my daughter had been raped by a police officer," the woman said.
The teen's family says she was asked to view a lineup to identify her attacker.
Then they learned of the reported suicide of Officer Neal.
The lineup was cancelled Wednesday.
The mother of the 17-year-old alleged victim says her daughter is now dealing with feeling responsible for the death of the man she says raped her.
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse 21 min ago
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game 45 min ago
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Oklahoma earthquake rattles state at magnitude 4.5
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport