Chicago cop commits suicide after rape allegation
April 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer took his own life while sources say he was under investigation for the rape of a 17-year-old girl.
Chicago police confirm a rape was reported this weekend on the block where the officer lived.
The medical examiner confirms it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound that ended the life of 48-year-old Edgar Neal a 26-year veteran of the force.
A woman says her 17-year-old daughter was at a drinking party with school friends and one of them took her to another man's house.
"She told me my daughter had been raped by a police officer," the woman said.
The teen's family says she was asked to view a lineup to identify her attacker.
Then they learned of the reported suicide of Officer Neal.
The lineup was cancelled Wednesday.
The mother of the 17-year-old alleged victim says her daughter is now dealing with feeling responsible for the death of the man she says raped her.
- Spring-like day followed by snow 9 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 15 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute