Chicago cop commits suicide after rape allegation
April 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer took his own life while sources say he was under investigation for the rape of a 17-year-old girl.
Chicago police confirm a rape was reported this weekend on the block where the officer lived.
The medical examiner confirms it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound that ended the life of 48-year-old Edgar Neal a 26-year veteran of the force.
A woman says her 17-year-old daughter was at a drinking party with school friends and one of them took her to another man's house.
"She told me my daughter had been raped by a police officer," the woman said.
The teen's family says she was asked to view a lineup to identify her attacker.
Then they learned of the reported suicide of Officer Neal.
The lineup was cancelled Wednesday.
The mother of the 17-year-old alleged victim says her daughter is now dealing with feeling responsible for the death of the man she says raped her.
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates 37 min ago