Wife charged in husband's murder
April 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- New charges have been filed in the death of a 72-year-old man. His wife is now accused, and authorities say she got her grandson to pull the trigger.
Bond was set at half a million dollars for 64-year-old Janet Strickland, though she was not in court Saturday due to health issues.
Prosecutors said she and her grandson conspired to kill her husband because they wanted his money.
On the block where 72-year-old William Strickland lived for decades neighbors can't believe it.
"I've got headaches just from thinking about this," said neighbor Denine Cross.
It was on March 2 that Strickland was shot six times in the back as he waited outside his house for a bus to go to his weekly kidney dialysis appointment.
Shortly after the murder, neighbors saw Strickland's 19-year-old grandson, William D. Strickland, tooling around in a shiny new red sports car.
"He was in the garage fixing it up. And I passed by, and I looked at him and kept going<' said neighbor Marion Farmer.
"Everybody was saying, 'Well, how did he get the money to get it? And who gave it to him?' That's what all the speculation was about," said neighbor Tyrese Kyles.
Prosecutors say the car was bought by 64-year-old Janet Strickland, the victim's wife, a payment to her grandson for the murder of her husband.
The pair allegedly went on a shopping spree with the victim's money, the younger Strickland paying for new tattoos, shoes and a phone.
Neighbors say the teen was sent by his mother to live with his grandfather, a retired steel worker who tried to get him a job and keep him out of trouble.
"He was a family man," Cross said. "He loved his wife. He loved his grandson. I would have never imagined."
"The last time I seen him, he was outside shoveling his snow. And I said, "Mr. Strickland, don't work too hard out here.' And he said, 'No, I'll take my time.' So he was a beautiful guy," said Kyles.
Bond was denied last month for the grandson, who police say is an admitted gang member.
local, eric horng
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 50 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 47 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout