Chicago store owner uses baseball bat to fight off gunman
April 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago store owner survived an armed robbery by using a baseball bat to fight off the gunman. It was all caught on camera.
The attempted armed robbery took place Tuesday at a shop in the 2200-block of North Western in the Logan Square neighborhood.
The surveillance cameras capture the story: Store owner Luis Quizhpe comes face-to-face with a gunman who is firing one shot after another as Quizhpe fights back with a baseball bat.
- RAW VIDEO: Dramatic surveillance footage
"My father pulled a bat and started swinging at them," said Juan Quizhpe, Luis's son. "One of the robbers actually shot his partner, and that's when they tried to flee."
Luis Quizhpe is glad to be alive.
"Thank you to Jesus," he said, "Another chance."
Chicago police confirm two would-be robbers entered the store on North Western Avenue Tuesday around 5:30 p.m.
Quizhpe and another relative were inside the store and even handed one of the robbers a tissue before the violence.
"One of the guys said, 'Give me the money or you are dead'," said relative Luis Aucaquizhpi.
During the violent struggle, several shots were fired, but Quizhpe and Aucaquizhpi fought back.
"I almost got killed," said Aucaquizhpi.
Quizhpe was shot in the thigh and was released from the hospital Wednesday.
The robber jumped the counter, realizing he had to buzz the door to get out.
"My father is a brave and courageous man, and I thank God for a father like that," said Juan Quizhpe.
Business owners say Quizhpe and his family are religious and well-known in the Ecuadorian community.
"They believe in their religion," said John Gutierrez. "Their belief is if it's my time to go, it's my time to go."
In this case, the robbers ended up leaving, fleeing the store.
"I just hope they come forward," said Juan Quizhpe, "or someone notices who they are and brings them to justice."
local, stacey baca
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 39 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car...
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos