Chicago anti-gun activists rally at Illinois State Capitol
April 11, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Chicago activists headed to Springfield Thursday to push the legislature to pass gun control legislation.
Some church groups joined the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence for the rally at the Illinois State Capitol. Leaders of the groups say they've conducted polls on the issue.
They say those polls show overwhelming support for gun control measures even amongst gun owners.
The activists warned lawmakers they'd better pay attention.
"The legislature must be reminded they represent real people and their voices in Springfield on this issue will have profound impact and repercussions on them back home," the xecutive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence Colleen Daley said.
The activists say they dropped off pro-gun control petitions with over 50,000 signatures.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 12 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert 7 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 54 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital 47 min ago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
12 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
7 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
54 min ago