John Kerry meets with Anne Smedinghoff parents in Chicago area
April 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sec. of State John Kerry met with the parents of Anne Smedinghoff, a 25-year-old diplomat killed in Afghanistan.
"He has reached out to us like so many others," said Tom Smedinghoff, Anne's father said of his visit with Kerry.
Smedinghoff, who was from suburban River Forest, died in an attack that also killed five other Americans more than one week ago. Early reports said she was in an armed convoy when a suicide bomber detonated explosives, but now, an Afghan television reporter says the group was lost while walking from a book donation event.
Smedinghoff's wake was set for Tuesday in Oak Park, followed by a funeral Mass Wednesday at St. Luke's church.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains