John Kerry meets with Anne Smedinghoff parents in Chicago area
April 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sec. of State John Kerry met with the parents of Anne Smedinghoff, a 25-year-old diplomat killed in Afghanistan.
"He has reached out to us like so many others," said Tom Smedinghoff, Anne's father said of his visit with Kerry.
Smedinghoff, who was from suburban River Forest, died in an attack that also killed five other Americans more than one week ago. Early reports said she was in an armed convoy when a suicide bomber detonated explosives, but now, an Afghan television reporter says the group was lost while walking from a book donation event.
Smedinghoff's wake was set for Tuesday in Oak Park, followed by a funeral Mass Wednesday at St. Luke's church.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples\ 49 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos