John Kerry meets with Anne Smedinghoff parents in Chicago area
April 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sec. of State John Kerry met with the parents of Anne Smedinghoff, a 25-year-old diplomat killed in Afghanistan.
"He has reached out to us like so many others," said Tom Smedinghoff, Anne's father said of his visit with Kerry.
Smedinghoff, who was from suburban River Forest, died in an attack that also killed five other Americans more than one week ago. Early reports said she was in an armed convoy when a suicide bomber detonated explosives, but now, an Afghan television reporter says the group was lost while walking from a book donation event.
Smedinghoff's wake was set for Tuesday in Oak Park, followed by a funeral Mass Wednesday at St. Luke's church.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...