John Kerry meets with Anne Smedinghoff parents in Chicago area
April 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sec. of State John Kerry met with the parents of Anne Smedinghoff, a 25-year-old diplomat killed in Afghanistan.
"He has reached out to us like so many others," said Tom Smedinghoff, Anne's father said of his visit with Kerry.
Smedinghoff, who was from suburban River Forest, died in an attack that also killed five other Americans more than one week ago. Early reports said she was in an armed convoy when a suicide bomber detonated explosives, but now, an Afghan television reporter says the group was lost while walking from a book donation event.
Smedinghoff's wake was set for Tuesday in Oak Park, followed by a funeral Mass Wednesday at St. Luke's church.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in 22 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims 5 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves...
22 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado...
5 min ago
- Lucas, Hobson donate $25M to After School...
4 min ago