Video of Vernon Hills police station shooting released
April 17, 2013 (VERNON HILLS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Vernon Hills Police have released the video of an officer shooting a man in the lobby of the police station earlier this month.
It happened April 3 when the victim, 53 year old Howard Lazarus, walked into the station and showed a fake, but realistic-looking, handgun.
The officer fired twice and hit Lazarus in the abdomen.
He was treated at the hospital and later released.
Police say Lazarus had a note in his pocket that said he was dying from cancer and couldn't do the deed himself.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos