Lincolnwood officer saves woman in drifting car on Edens
April 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Thursday morning, the Edens Expressway flowed like a river as floodwaters pushed cars along.
Lincolnwood Police Officer Jeff Gordon said saw a car floating down the Edens Expressway near Pratt Avenue. He came to the rescue of the driver and another man, but had to convince another passenger to leave.
"The vehicle started to go under water- engine first," Officer Jeff Gordon, Lincolnwood Police Department, said. "The driver was yelling at his wife...she was stricken with fear and couldn't get out of the car."
Gordon swam through the water, which was around 13 feet deep, to the other side of the car.
"I said, 'I'm a police officer. Yu need to get out of the car.' She snapped out of it, looked at me, and lunged out of the car at that point," Gordon said.
Only the license plate of the trunk of that car was visible by the time the water started to recede.
Illinois State Police warned drivers about the dangerous flooding.
"We are asking everyone to please stay off the roadways," Luis Guitierrez, Illinois State Police, said. The aftermath lasted for hours as the waters slowly receded.
"I've never seen anything like it. It was totally impassable both ways, three cars underwater, the semis were all pulled to the side. The truck drivers were all waiting," Matt Specht, Lincolnwood resident, said.
At Elston, lanes on the Edens were closed, cars were stranded, and motorists were baffled.
"I don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of the day. Every street is flooded, closed, re-routed, everything," Ariel Rivera, driver, said.
"Crazy, like bumper to bumper. You can't even move," Mitesh Patel, driver, said.
IDOT workers used rakes to clear drains, street sweepers wiped up debris, and Chicagoans helped each other out.
"Chicago is about when it rains it pours, and, you know, Chicagoans go out there and do what they need to do to help people who need it," James Oraha said.
local, stacey baca
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 18 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
57 min ago
- ABC7 To Go: 3-7-14
30 min ago