Mother, boyfriend charged in connection with 1-year-old's disappearance
April 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The mother of missing 1-year-old Bryeon Hunter has been charged with murder in connection with his disappearance. The mother's boyfriend was charged as well on Friday night.
Lakeshia Baker and Michael Scott were both charged with first-degree murder on Friday. They will both be in bond court Saturday morning.
An AMBER alert was issued for Bryeon on Tuesday after his mother reported him kidnapped.
Police are still searching for what they believe to be Bryeon’s body in the Des Plaines River.
Bryeon's grandmother Brenda Lloyd wants answers about the whereabouts of her grandson.
"It's getting to the point my baby might be dead, laying somewhere," Lloyd said. "I'm trying not to believe that," said Lloyd.
Despite the injuries that sent Baker to the hospital Tuesday, the three men she accused of beating her and snatching her son have been cleared by police of any wrongdoing.
After Baker was released from the hospital Tuesday night, she and her boyfriend were brought to the Maywood police station for questioning. Both have not been released, each apparently blaming the other for the boy's disappearance.
After all-day searches in the river, and near Baker's home, there is no sign of Bryeon Hunter.
"It's real frustrating," said Lloyd. "I'm trying not to believe my baby is gone."
The search of the Des Plaines River was suspended around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday because of poor weather conditions. The search is expected to continue Thursday.
The boy is described as about 2-feet tall and weighing 30 pounds, the alert said. Police say the boy has brown hair and brown eyes and just got a haircut.
He was wearing a two-toned blue striped long-sleeve shirt, blue jeans, and blue and brown Nike boots.
Maywood police are urging anyone with information to contact them at (708) 450-4471.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures passenger
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Buy Local: Geneva
2 min ago