9 cars crash on Tri-State Tollway due to ice
April 20, 2013 (GLENVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Ice was blamed for a multiple-vehicle crash on the Tri-State Tollway overnight. As many as nine cars collided on a bridge near Central Avenue in north suburban Glenview.
An Illinois help truck was blocking the lanes to protect vehicles that had already crashed when it was rear-ended by two other vehicles.
The truck driver was hospitalized.
One driver, Erin Hammond, said she also had a close call.
"We were just driving, and it just lost control, and the car spun around 180 degrees, and when I stopped, I came two to three inches close to hitting the car that was on the side of road," Hammond said.
The Tri-State Tollway was not the only roadway hit by messy weather overnight. Heavy snow fell on many parts of the city, slowing traffic on major roads including I-90/94 and Lake Shore Drive.
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 41 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 2 min ago
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 43 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 59 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan 59 min ago
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
41 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
59 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos