9 cars crash on Tri-State Tollway due to ice
April 20, 2013 (GLENVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Ice was blamed for a multiple-vehicle crash on the Tri-State Tollway overnight. As many as nine cars collided on a bridge near Central Avenue in north suburban Glenview.
An Illinois help truck was blocking the lanes to protect vehicles that had already crashed when it was rear-ended by two other vehicles.
The truck driver was hospitalized.
One driver, Erin Hammond, said she also had a close call.
"We were just driving, and it just lost control, and the car spun around 180 degrees, and when I stopped, I came two to three inches close to hitting the car that was on the side of road," Hammond said.
The Tri-State Tollway was not the only roadway hit by messy weather overnight. Heavy snow fell on many parts of the city, slowing traffic on major roads including I-90/94 and Lake Shore Drive.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas