Mother held without bond in Maywood child's disappearance; $750K bail for boyfriend also charged
April 20, 2013 (MAYWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Prosecutors say a Maywood woman beat her son to death because he was crying and whining, then claimed he was abducted.
Lakesha Baker and her boyfriend Michael Scott are charged with first-degree murder in the death of 1-year-old Bryeon Hunter.
The boy was reported missing on Tuesday. Baker claimed three men attacked her and took off with the child. But prosecutors say Baker and Scott beat the boy then dumped his body. It has not been found.
"There's no reason to do anything to any child," said Maywood Police Chief Tim Curry. "They're innocent, they're helpless. But it's even more egregious that you can find it within yourself to hurt your own."
Saturday a judge ordered Baker held without bond and set bail at $750,000 for her boyfriend. Baker's lawyer says he's certain she'll be found not guilty.
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos