Geraldo the Horse holds up I-80 traffic in Indiana
April 24, 2013 (LOWELL, Ind.) (WLS) -- Drivers on I-80, especially during afternoon rush hour, are used to sharing the interstate with a lot of things, but a runaway horse isn't one of them.
At approximately 4:35 p.m., the Indiana State Police received a report of a runaway horse running eastbound I-80 from Colorado Street.
Troopers converged on the area and found the horse lying on the inner shoulder just east of Central Avenue. Colleen Flee of Chesterton and David Beckham of Crown Point saw the horse running on I-80 when it fell. Flee and Beckham stopped their vehicles and Flee laid down next to the horse to keep it down and calm so it wouldn't dart out in traffic. Beckham stood by with Flee to help control the horse, ISP said.
One trooper stopped eastbound traffic so he could walk the horse to the grassy area behind the barrier wall on the outer shoulder so it wouldn't be "spooked" by all the traffic on I-80, ISP said.
Lake Station and Hobart police departments helped find the owner.
Marcelino Chavez, 62, of Hammond, said his horse, which he calls "Geraldo", had jumped over the fence where he is kept at 25th and Colorado and fled up the interstate. Chavez said the horse is used in parades.
Traffic was shut down again for Chavez to load Geraldo into his horse trailer. Geraldo suffered minor abrasions.
All lanes of traffic were re-opened at 6:14 p.m.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 49 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues 55 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary 59 min ago
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
42 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
49 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults...
55 min ago
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in...
28 min ago