Chicago teen presents babysitting app at White House Science Fair
April 24, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Shaquiesha Davis was one of 100 students who presented a science project at the White House Science Fair. And her idea grabbed the attention of Valerie Jarrett.
Davis, who attends Chicago Tech Academy, created an iPhone app, Baby B 4 Me, during an entrepreneurship class. The app helps parents keep track of their children while the kids are with a babysitter or nanny. It works like this: Parents create a schedule, and the babysitter checks the activity off as it's completed.
"When an activity is done, they can check it off, and say it's done," Davis explains to Jarrett in a White House video.
"So you can track their schedule in the course of the day," Jarrett said.
Baby B 4 Me also allows for facetime chatting.
"As a single mom, I thank you. My daughter is a little old for this now, but it would have sure come in handy about 25 years ago," Jarrett said.
Jarrett mentioned Davis in a recent White House blog, Students Invent Future, about the White House Science Fair.
A second Chicago student, Anthony Halmon, 19, a senior at Perspectives Leadership academy, also presented at the White House Science Fair. He created The Thermofier, a child's pacifier with an internal thermometer. He came up with the idea after seeing the challenges of using a regular thermometer with his 3-year-old daughter.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 11 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
11 min ago