CBOE trading outage due to internal errors, not hackers
April 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Traders were unable to process transactions at the Chicago Board Options Exchange this morning from the 9:30 a.m. open to just before noon due to "an internal systems issue," not hackers.
CBOE issued a statement explaining the outage that said: "The malfunction that impacted CBOE was an internal systems issue and not the result of any outside influence."
"Not being able to hedge a portfolio for a regular trader, for a big firm that is looking to use these options as a hedge is difficult," said Todd Horwitz of AverageJoeOptions.com. "They are going to have to figure out another way, maybe use futures at the mercantile or another way to hedge their overall position."
The CBOE has the exclusive right to sell options -- or the right to buy shares at specific prices in the future -- for two indices important to professional traders. These indices are the volatility or VIX index, and the S&P 500 basket of top shares.
Traders were left surfing the internet while the exchange tried to fix its computers. Twice, just after 10 a.m., the exchange said everything was working but traders walking out confirmed business had not resumed - and opportunities were being lost.
"Based on market movement, it could be in the billions of dollars potentially," said Horwitz.
local, ravi baichwal
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 15 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 4 min ago
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown' 28 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 8 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday 49 min ago
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC 33 min ago
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing 35 min ago
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes 34 min ago
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos