Supporters, opponents of same-sex marriage march and protest
April 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- People fought for and against same-sex marriage at a march and protest in Humboldt Park Saturday.
Supporters of the Illinois Family Institute were advocating for what they call "natural marriage" between one man and one woman.
As they marched through the streets, they were joined by supporters of the Gay Liberation Network.
"We are not against them. We try to follow the bible and what God says about the gospel," same-sex marriage opponent Maria Elena Valdez said.
"It's kind of ironic to me that a group that says they are trying to protect marriage are actually fighting against marriage for other people," same-sex marriage supporter Jason Eiler said.
The Illinois State Senate approved gay marriage legislation on Valentine's Day.
Supporters in the house say they're still a few votes short of what's needed to pass the measure.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 7 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 begins under strong security
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77