Chicagoans 'March for Babies'
April 28, 2013 (BOLINGBROOK, Ill.) (WLS) -- People in Chicago and six suburbs hit the streets Sunday to "March for Babies."
ABC7 meteorologist Tracy Butler emceed an event in southwest suburban Bolingbrook, where approximately 350 walkers were participating.
The walks raise money for the March of Dimes and are the group's largest fundraisers.
Organizers in Bolingbrook were hoping to beat last year's goal of $63,000 -- even if by $1.
Proceeds help the health and well-being of babies and new mothers.
"The folks that are mostly affected by our mission are the families, and the families bond together to make a difference because they don't want others to suffer or in memory of the child that was lost due to prematurity. So, this walk is emotional for the families," said the March of Dimes' Lori Christopherson.
"We've been a part of a lot of other charities. With something like this 'March for Babies' that we're really helping, I mean that really says a lot, that we're helping out kids, that we're doing something that's going to help out the lives of kids, is something that's really special," walker Carmen Edwards said.
This year is the 75th anniversary of March of Dimes. So, the celebration was expected to be terrific as everyone was excited to raise money for the cause.
Among the six other walks in the Chicago area, an event in Grant Park began at 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
Also, next Sunday, May 5, ABC Meteorologist Mark Bishop was scheduled to emcee the Kankakee March for Babies at Friendship Park in Bourbonnais at 10 a.m.
local, diane pathieu
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas