Chicagoans 'March for Babies'
April 28, 2013 (BOLINGBROOK, Ill.) (WLS) -- People in Chicago and six suburbs hit the streets Sunday to "March for Babies."
ABC7 meteorologist Tracy Butler emceed an event in southwest suburban Bolingbrook, where approximately 350 walkers were participating.
The walks raise money for the March of Dimes and are the group's largest fundraisers.
Organizers in Bolingbrook were hoping to beat last year's goal of $63,000 -- even if by $1.
Proceeds help the health and well-being of babies and new mothers.
"The folks that are mostly affected by our mission are the families, and the families bond together to make a difference because they don't want others to suffer or in memory of the child that was lost due to prematurity. So, this walk is emotional for the families," said the March of Dimes' Lori Christopherson.
"We've been a part of a lot of other charities. With something like this 'March for Babies' that we're really helping, I mean that really says a lot, that we're helping out kids, that we're doing something that's going to help out the lives of kids, is something that's really special," walker Carmen Edwards said.
This year is the 75th anniversary of March of Dimes. So, the celebration was expected to be terrific as everyone was excited to raise money for the cause.
Among the six other walks in the Chicago area, an event in Grant Park began at 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
Also, next Sunday, May 5, ABC Meteorologist Mark Bishop was scheduled to emcee the Kankakee March for Babies at Friendship Park in Bourbonnais at 10 a.m.
local, diane pathieu
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 46 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 23 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 26 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder 40 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
46 min ago