Airman raised in Oswego dies in Afghanistan crash
April 29, 2013 (OSWEGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- His sister calls him a hero.
Twenty-eight-year-old Captain Brandon Cyr was killed along with three other American airmen in a crash this weekend in Afghanistan.
Cyr spent part of his childhood in Oswego and attended Traughber Junior High School.
The MC-12 aircraft went down on Saturday near Kandahar.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
In a Facebook message, Cyr's sister tells ABC 7 News, "He touched so many people in such amazing ways. I'm so proud of him. The world lost an outstanding man."
Also killed was 30-year-old Reid Nishizuka, a graduate of the University of Notre Dame. The native of Hawaii was a decorated captain in the Air Force with more than a dozen Medals of Valor.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand