Payton coach returns, game vs. Brooks rescheduled after baseball controversy
April 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Walter Payton College Prep baseball team is back on the field with their coach after the team opted not to travel to the Roseland neighborhood to play Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep.
Chicago Public Schools administrators asked Walter Payton coach Will Wittleder to sit out of Monday's game while they looked into why Payton forfeited Saturday night's game against Brooks.
Wittleder initially said that several parents didn't want to travel to Roseland, on the city's Far South Side, because they had safety concerns on a Saturday night.
Wittleder met with Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett on Monday.
"I did have a conversation with the coach and the principal there and I think this was just clearly an error of not communicating the fact that we failed to get a bus for the children. I don't think it was anything more than that. Actually I was convinced of that," said Byrd-Bennett.
The school board has scheduled a makeup game between Payton and Brooks for May 11.
local, john garcia
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 20 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...