Police say woman set building fire after husband smoked pot without her
April 30, 2013 (RIVERSIDE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Riverside police charged Linda B. Lopez of Chicago with aggravated arson after she set fire to an apartment building following a drug-fueled argument with her husband.
On Sunday, Riverside police found two smoldering fires burning in the apartment building where Lopez and her husband had been living rent-free for two weeks after a former resident moved out early, police said.
According to Riverside police, Lopez fell asleep on April 27 and when she awoke, discovered that her marijuana was missing. She confronted her husband and accused him of ingesting it without her. The argument escalated, and Lopez then used perfume to douse the hallway of the apartment building before setting it on fire.
Lopez stated to police that she had started the fire because she was upset with her husband for smoking the marijuana without her present.
"The tenants inside the building are lucky to be alive. The two elderly tenants that live in the basement, both in their late 80s and early 90s, one is blind and the other is deaf. There's no possible way these individuals could have made it out of the apartment on their own if the building had become fully engulfed," said Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel.
Thirty-three-year-old Lopez was charged with one count of aggravated arson. Her bond was set at $20,000 on Tuesday.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert 55 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
55 min ago